Perhaps it is just as well I haven't figured out how to insert photos; I believe we've each got a thousand shots of churches, and another thousand of arches. If I offer to show you pictures when we get back, feel free to look at your watch and demur.
Our place in Rome was right on the Tiber River, with gorgeous archways of sycamore trees lining the walkways, and the dome of St. Peter's Basilica in view. The Vatican Museums, St. Peter's, the Colosseum, piazzas, fountains, and churches (sometimes three to a block) were great diversions from eating and sipping.
We've managed to eat gelato at least once, but usually only once daily. Jona checks out coconut every time; I go for variety. Pizza is eaten with a knife and fork. Doors, even in public restrooms, are often locked with skeleton keys. Bathrooms at both places we've stayed so far have bidets - aim and temperature are important, just saying. Stopping into a cafe while walking for a shot of espresso is a treat, but I think maybe Jona wishes to line up a row of shots and make short work of them.
Yesterday we went to Assisi - my favorite place so far. We parked at the top of the town, not knowing that the Basilica of St. Francis en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_San_Francesco_d'Assisi was at the BOTTOM of the town (be sure to ask to feel my calf muscles when we meet again!) Luckily, the church of Santa Chiara (St. Claire, real-time buddy of St. Francis back when) was at the top, and it was a stunner as well. www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/assisi-santa-chiara Also, as we made our way down, we ducked into Cafe Duomo just as a downpour began - not to be confused with the prolonged torrential rains Mike has been experiencing in Thailand - and I had incredible hot chocolate that was just short of pudding in texture. Today we found a fabulous library just down the way and across an alley or two, thanks to an entry in a book Claire and Steve gave us.
I'm still managing my daily holy trinity: wine/caffe/gelato. Tomorrow we leave Siena for Florence. I aim to keep my record unbroken.
1 comment:
Oh the joy of vicarious travel you guy's give us - Love it. The trinity sounds devine !
Post a Comment